Curly dreads are a unique and captivating hairstyle that combines the beauty of curls with the edginess of dreadlocks. While this style can be visually striking, it often comes with its own set of challenges, particularly frizz and unruly curls. One solution that has gained popularity among those with curly dreads is flaxseed gel. In this comprehensive guide, we will explore the benefits of flaxseed gel in taming frizz and enhancing your curls while providing you with the ultimate guide on how to get and maintain curly dreads.
Understanding Curly Dreads
Before delving into the wonders of flaxseed gel, let’s start by understanding what curly dreads are and why they are gaining popularity. Curly dreads combine two distinctive hair textures – the natural curls and the locked strands of dreadlocks. This fusion creates a visually stunning and unique style, often characterized by defined, coiled curls that are intertwined within the dreadlocks.
Getting curly dreads involves a specific process, as it’s not simply about letting your hair grow wild and free. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to achieve and maintain curly dreads:
Step 1: Hair Type and Length
Your hair type plays a significant role in achieving curly dreads. Typically, this style is best suited for individuals with naturally curly or wavy hair, as this texture helps in forming the desired curls. Additionally, your hair should be at least 5-6 inches in length for the locking process to begin.
Step 2: Preparing Your Hair
Before starting the dreadlock process, it’s essential to ensure that your hair is clean, well-moisturized, and in good condition. You may want to consider deep conditioning your hair regularly to keep it healthy.
Step 3: Sectioning Your Hair
Divide your hair into sections to make it more manageable during the dreadlocking process. The size of the sections will depend on your preference, but typically, smaller sections will result in more defined curls.
Step 4: Creating the Dreads
Dreadlocks are created by twisting and knotting sections of hair. There are various methods for creating dreadlocks, including the backcombing method, twist and rip method, or the interlocking method. Each has its unique characteristics, but all will help you form the foundational dreadlocks.
Step 5: Maintenance
To achieve curly dreads, it’s essential to maintain them regularly. Maintenance includes palm rolling, crocheting, and interlocking to ensure the dreadlocks are tight and well-formed. This process helps control frizz and maintain the desired curl pattern.
The Challenge of Frizz in Curly Dreads
One of the common challenges that people with curly dreads face is frizz. Frizz can make your curls appear messy and unruly, detracting from the neat and stylish appearance you want to achieve with your curly dreads. The cause of frizz in curly dreads is often related to dryness, breakage, or external factors like humidity.
What is Flaxseed Gel?
Flaxseed gel is a natural hair product made from flaxseeds. It’s packed with nutrients like Omega-3 fatty acids, which are known for their hair-nourishing properties. The gel is made by boiling flaxseeds in water until a gel-like substance forms. This substance is then strained and used as a hair product.
The Role of Flaxseed Gel
Flaxseed gel, made from flaxseeds, is a natural solution that has gained popularity among people with curly hair, including those with curly dreads. It is known for its moisturizing and curl-enhancing properties. Here’s how flaxseed gel can help in taming frizz and smoothing your curls within the context of curly dreads:
- Moisture Retention: Flaxseed gel is an excellent moisturizer. It helps to keep your hair well-hydrated, which is crucial in preventing dryness and minimizing frizz. Curly hair, including curly dreads, tends to be naturally drier, making moisture retention vital in maintaining a sleek and defined look.
- Natural Curl Enhancement: Flaxseed gel helps enhance the natural curl pattern of your hair. By applying the gel to your curly dreads, you can achieve more defined and well-formed curls. The result is a neater and more polished appearance.
- Frizz Control: Flaxseed gel is particularly effective in controlling frizz. It smooths the hair’s cuticle and keeps the hair shaft aligned, reducing the chances of frizz. This is especially beneficial for individuals with curly dreads, as frizz can be more pronounced due to the textured nature of the style.
How to Make Flaxseed Gel
Now that we understand the benefits of flaxseed gel, let’s take a look at how you can make it at home. The process is simple and cost-effective.
- 1/4 cup of whole flaxseeds
- 2 cups of water
- A small saucepan
- A fine-mesh strainer
- A glass jar or container for storage
- Place the flaxseeds and water in a saucepan and bring them to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and allow the mixture to simmer for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- The mixture will start to thicken and take on a gel-like consistency. You will notice a slimy texture forming around the seeds.
- Once the gel has reached the desired consistency, remove it from the heat and let it cool slightly.
- Strain the gel through a fine-mesh strainer into a glass jar or container. This will separate the gel from the seeds.
- Allow the gel to cool completely before sealing it and storing it in the refrigerator.
Using Flaxseed Gel for Curly Dreads
Now that you have your homemade flaxseed gel, it’s time to put it to use to tame frizz and enhance your curly dreads. Here’s how to incorporate flaxseed gel into your hair care routine:
- Dampen Your Hair: Start with freshly washed hair. Dampen your curly dreads with water to prepare them for the application of flaxseed gel.
- Apply the Gel: Take a small amount of flaxseed gel and apply it to your hair. Begin by working it into your roots and then distribute it evenly throughout your curly dreads. Use your fingers to work the gel into your hair, ensuring that each dread is coated.
- Define Your Curls: To achieve defined curls, gently twist or scrunch your curly dreads while the gel is still wet. This helps set the curl pattern and minimize frizz.
- Dry Your Hair: Allow your curly dreads to air dry or use a diffuser on your hair dryer to set the curls. The gel will help maintain the curl pattern and keep frizz at bay as your hair dries.
- Repeat as Needed: You can use flaxseed gel as often as necessary to maintain your curly dreads. Many people find that applying it after washing their hair is sufficient, but you can use it between washes if needed to control frizz.
Additional Tips for Curly Dreads
In addition to using flaxseed gel, here are some additional tips to help you maintain your curly dreads and achieve the desired look:
- Regular Maintenance: Make sure to maintain your dreadlocks regularly by palm rolling, crocheting, or interlocking. This will help keep your curly dreads tight and neat.
- Avoid Over-Washing: Frequent washing can strip your hair of natural oils, leading to dryness and frizz. Aim to wash your hair every 1-2 weeks or as needed to maintain cleanliness.
- Protective Styling: Consider protective styles such as braids or twists to protect your curly dreads from external factors that may cause frizz.
- Satin or Silk Pillowcases: Sleeping on satin or silk pillowcases can help reduce friction and prevent frizz while you sleep.
Curly dreads are a captivating and unique hairstyle that combines the beauty of curls with the edginess of dreadlocks. To maintain the style and control frizz, flaxseed gel is a natural solution that offers moisture retention, curl enhancement, and frizz control. By following the steps outlined in this guide and incorporating flaxseed gel into your hair care routine, you can achieve and maintain beautiful and well-defined curly dreads. So, embrace your curls, tame the frizz, and rock your stunning curly dreads with confidence.